Saturday, July 6, 2013

Doctor Who: Series Four End



Holy Tardis of Gallfrey.  The last two episodes of the series were written by sadistic maniacs.  Seriously, I haven't cried over a T.V. show that much in... possibly ever, actually.  And LOST could be brutal, but it was nothing in comparison to the abject misery I experienced watching the last two episodes of series four.

Ten's unwillingness to regenerate literally ripped my heart right out of my chest.  And they just kept making it worse.  We didn't get much fanfare when Nine regenerated into Ten.  I mean, he told Rose he wouldn't see her again ("Not with this dusty old face,") and told her she'd been brilliant.  Then, he regenerated.  No hysterics, no emotions, just poof!  New doctor!  David Tennant made some crack about new teeth and that was that.

But this.  Oh my god, this was something altogether different and horrible.  Not only had the Doctor just had to give up Rose to his clone and wipe Donna's memory because her brain was going to fry otherwise, he also knew that he was going to die, courtesy of the Ood, and didn't want to.  Almost every single conversation he had with Wilfred throughout the episodes were devastating.  His conversation about needing a companion and his explaining to Wilfred what happens when he regenerates - that everything he is dies and some other man strolls away with his memories.  And Wilfred offering him the gun and saying, "You're the most wonderful man and I don't want you to die," caused me to completely lose my shit, for a second.

Then the hope he felt after the Master and the crazy Timelords were gone, and he was still alive, only to find out that he had to kill himself to save Wilfred.  His rant about it not being fair - AND OH MY GOD IT FUCKING ISN'T.  Then for him to go on his little journey to see everyone that he loved and cared for before he regenerated (Rose included, which just started up the waterworks again).  It was almost too much.  And then, when he started to regenerate and he said, "I don't want to go," I fucking was too much,

I found myself really angry with the writers of the show, because it was all too much.  Leaving your audience sad and potentially crying is one thing - completely destroying a character that they love after three seasons of completely shitting on him because he's a Timelord and apparently can't have anything good for more than a few minutes is just completely fucked.  I can't understand it.  I adored Ten.  David Tennant was beyond amazing as the Doctor, and his last performance quite literally had me in tears for a good, solid ten minutes.  I was not handling my shit well at all.

Now, we've started series five, with Matt Smith, and I am just struggling with it.  I can't seem to connect with Eleven (although, we've only watched three or so episodes) and I can't seem to find a reason to care about him.  I thought the transition would be good because I could stop associating the Doctor with all the shit Ten had to go through, but I find myself missing Tennant's brand of Doctor and not all that impressed with Smith's.  Smith seems like a watered down version of Ten as far as Doctor quirks go.  I don't care for the whole "Geronimo" thing (who the fuck came up with that idea?) and his quick temper doesn't work as well as it did for Nine.  Not that Nine had a short fuse, but when he got angry, it was intimidating.  Eleven seems to want to be intimidating, but... eh.  River is coming back in the next episode (maybe that's the third one, so we've watched two?) and I'm excited to see her.  I find myself missing, not just Ten, but also Rose, Martha, Donna, Jack - all of them.

It wouldn't be as irritating if I had immediately taken to Eleven like I did with Ten.  I was convinced that Nine would be my favorite Doctor and that Ten would take some getting used to, but no.  I immediately fell in love with Ten.  Now, granted, we had a lot more episodes with Ten than we did with Nine, but still.  I'm not digging the adjustment.

I do like Amy, though.  I like how capable she is and how easily she's taken to life with the Doctor.  I also liked how it was Amy that saved the day in the space whale episode, instead of the Doctor.  But, so far, Eleven - you are no Ten, sir.

And I'm getting way too worked up over Doctor Who.  I need to breathe.  Although, I did get two fun Tardis t-shirts today.  So, yay me and fandom obsession!

No comments:

Post a Comment