Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Selfie: A T.V. Show That Should've Been a Movie

I am admittedly a little confused about this.  I didn’t even realize that Karen Gillan was starring in a new T.V. show until I stumbled upon this, quite by accident, via BBC America.  Well, really, it was via the Doctor Who fan page on Facebook.



Either way, I was excited to watch the trailer because I’m pretty much excited to see anything Karen Gillan’s pretty face is in.  I was, however, undeniably confused and little underwhelmed.  First of all, this entire thing looks like it should be a movie, not a T.V. show.  It has the flow and plot of a fun, throwaway movie like When in Rome or Confessions of a Shopoholic, both of which are movies that I adore, but neither of which Kristin Bell nor Isla Fischer are really known for.  Well, I guess maybe Isla Fischer, a little bit, but you see my point.

The modern day My Fair Lady thing is cute and I see you trying to make this relatable by using social media to replace Eliza’s cockney accent, ABC.  I’m just not sure what the target audience is meant to be, here.  Were this a movie, I would definitely sit down and devote 1.5 hours or so of my life to watching it.  It looks cute, I get to stare at Karen Gillan, and it’s always fun to see Harold in something different.

As a T.V. show?  You’ve lost my interest almost immediately.  I have no desire to drag out what could and should be crammed into an hour and a half as a television series.  It’d be like taking Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen and making it into a T.V. show.  Literally, no one would care.  No one.  Actually, I think more people would care about that, than this.

And I don’t care about this.  Plus, I don’t think it would hurt to dial Karen’s vernacular back a bit.  Do real people actually speak in hashtags, unironically?  I sincerely hope not.  I will say, though, that Karen’s American accent is pretty spot on.  If you didn’t already know she’s Scottish, you’d have no idea.  Not that the American accent is particularly hard to master, but I’ve seen plenty of English/Irish/Scottish/Australian/etc. actors and actresses whose American accents are terrible because their native accents are so strong (I’m looking at you, Gerard Butler).

And what happens once Eliza is sufficiently “My Fair Lady’d”?  How many seasons will that take and, once she is, then what?  The whole point of the show is that she’s a vapid social media-ite.  Once she’s transformed into a non-vapid social media-ite, what is the point of the show?

Maybe people will buy into this and maybe they’ll like it, but I would be surprised if it makes it a full season.  Or past the pilot.  Sorry, Karen.  I love you dearly, but this looks ridiculous.  Thank god you’re in Guardians of the Galaxy so I can watch you in something fun and interesting, other than Doctor Who.

No comments:

Post a Comment